Mold in an Apartment
If you live in or own an apartment building in Layton, UT or anywhere else in the country, it is not unthinkable that there is mold sharing your space. Incredibly, there are over 1000 different U.S. varieties of this organism, but the good news is that there are professionals who stand ready to help.
The first thing to do is to contact your landlord in writing about the need for mold cleanup in your apartment so that there is a record of the notification. Since mold spores can spread quickly, it is best not to postpone this step. More tips include:
• Take photos. Digital shots can be sent as email attachments when you report the presence of mold.
• Stay in communication with your landlord. Give him or her sufficient time to schedule inspections for mold and air quality.
• Once the inspections are completed, inquire in writing about the plan for remediation.
• Prevent a recurrence by always thoroughly cleaning up water damage.
Mold cleanup need not involve lawyers or lawsuits, and you always have the option of moving out if the situation becomes untenable.
It is the responsibility of the building owner to provide a safe environment for tenants. Once evidence of mold has been presented, it is important to move quickly to prevent mold contamination from worsening. In addition:
• Schedule a professional inspection for mold.
• Schedule an indoor air quality inspection.
• Be honest with your tenants about the results and send them written plans for remediation.
• Take care of the mold cleanup in a timely fashion.
• Educate your tenants about how to prevent a recurrence
The presence of mold can be worrisome to tenants and building owners alike. Honest conversations conducted civilly will go a long way in getting over the bump in the road this common problem can cause.
For more information, please visit us at http://www.SERVPROlaytonkaysville.com.