If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (801) 298-4272

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Top 5 Causes of Residential Fires

7/12/2022 (Permalink)

Image of a cooking pan with fire Cooking fires are the leading cause of fire damage in Layton, UT.

A property owner's worst fear is a residential disaster, like a home fire. Unfortunately, even with vigilant homeowners, some fire disasters are unavoidable. However, don't call in the fire cleaning specialists from Layton, UT, just yet. Being aware of the five leading causes of home fires can reduce your risks.

The 5 Leading Causes of Home Fires

  • Cooking
  • Faulty wiring
  • Smoking
  • Appliances
  • Candles

  1. Cooking

Cooking can quickly lead to fire damage, especially when working with grease. A grease fire can get out of control if you don't smother it immediately. While you can allow the pan fire to burn itself out if it is small and away from flammable materials, it is best to put a lid on it and remove it from the heat source.

  1. Faulty Wiring

Older homes may have wiring issues. First, the codes today do not match those from a decade or more ago. Second, if you recently purchased the property, you do not know who performed past wiring work or upgrades. It is wise to have an electrical inspection done to ensure everything is up to code and safe.

  1. Smoking

Smoking in bed or relaxing in the living room can cause a home fire. If you fall asleep with the lit cigarette in your hand, it is possible the embers or the cigarette will ignite furniture or carpeting around you.

  1. Appliances

Every appliance in your home likely has a maintenance schedule and cleaning instructions. Be sure to obey the guides provided by the manufacturer. It is also a good idea to unplug appliances not in use.

  1. Candles

Many homeowners like candles, especially those with a pleasant fragrance. However, if you have children or pets, make sure you do not leave a lit candle unattended. Children are curious, and pets can be reckless.

While a home fire is a concern for many homeowners, knowing the common causes of house fires can limit your risks. If you wish to discuss or assess issues regarding your property, contact a fire prevention expert.

Other News

View Recent Posts